I thought I would do something movie related to celebrate yesterday's Oscar's. (Congratulations Colin!) I came across this online and thought it would be quite fun to do and, hopefully, fun to read!
What are the ten favourite movie soundtracks in your collection?
This is a toughie but a goodie! I love film soundtracks and own a lot.
1'd probably have to start off with "Dirty Dancing" as it conjures up so many memories of the wonderful late 80's. I love all the songs but this instrumental stands out.
Secondly, another 80's favourite "St Elmo's Fire". I loved the title track "Man in Motion" and was lucky enough to meet Rick Hansen whom the song was based on whilst I lived in Canada. I also adored the instrumental music in the movie and was pleased to find out that David Foster who wrote it was from Victoria so I also got to see him play live in my Canadian years.
Number three would be the soundtrack of Miss Potter. I adored the instrumental music in this movie - it was simply magical and just made my heart sing. I often listen to it on my Ipod and it always makes me goosepimply. Sometimes instrumental music doesn't need lyrics to tell a story .......
Another favorite is Working Girl - one of the most amazing opening songs ever. The whole soundtrack is great but Carly Simon is just the bee's knees!!
Number five Four Weddings and a Funeral - great cd but what made it for me was the inclusion of the wonderful W H Auden poem, Funeral Blues!
Number Six has to be Mamma Mia. I have watched this movie 4 times now and each time it has had me in tears of total joy. Dancing Queen is pure musical magic. Alas I can't find a download (Grrrr) so I will put the movie trailer instead!
Seven. Boys on the Side - what a collection of fantastic music! The Cranberries, Melissa Etheridge, Annie Lennox ..... and this ...
Eight Meet Me in St Louis. I played this to death when I first bought it. The Trolley Song just makes me quiver with delight. I have to zoom over "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as it just makes me sob, it always has and it always will. I can listen to other people sing the song but Judy - too too emotional.
Yikes, only two left! Number nine will be Beaches. Again, an AMAZING opening! A bit of pointless information .. I actually stood on The Hollywood Bowl stage in 1995 and serenaded my friend with "Under the Boardwalk". I love "Baby Mine" from Dumbo and "I Think it's Gonna Rain Today" and "The Glory of Love" but the stand out is the instrumental. Simply beautiful.
Finally I have to say RENT. I was worried that it would be massacred on big screen but Chris Columbus managed to transfer the magic.
There numerous others I could name - The Lion King, How to Make an American Quilt, Evita, Little Shop of Horrors, Little Women, Slumdog Millionaire (which I don't actually own but loved it) and Peggy Sue Got Married (I *love* the instrumental where Peggy goes back to her childhood home and see's her mother and talks to her grandmother. I haven't heard it for over 15 years but could lalala it for you right now. OOH HERE IT IS ....
"I think music in itself is healing.
It's an explosive expression of humanity.
It's something we are all touched by.
No matter what culture we're from,
everyone loves music."
~ Billy Joel ~
I love soundtracks too and really feel music is important to a film. I never bought a soundtrack cd though. Somehow I always thought it was too expensive for just reliving the film. I could do it now since here cd's are so very cheap. That said I would love to have the Mamma Mia cd ;).
ReplyDeleteWill have a look for it here! I liked your entry girl!
I'll have to come back and take more time to play some of these selections. I have seen some of the movies--Mamma Mia and Meet Me in St. Louis among them, but many I have not--can you believe I have never seen Dirty Dancing? You have given me some good movie night rental ideas for the future....and also an idea of something to blog about , as well.
ReplyDelete