Clementine Cake - courtesy of Nigella Lawson
I made this yesterday - oooh what a gorgeous aroma wafted through the house! I have made it once before, a few years ago, and just adored it.
INGREDIENTS
4-5 clementines (about 375g total weight)
6 eggs
225g sugar
250g ground almonds
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
METHOD
Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips.
Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC. Butter and line a 21cm Springform tin.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin.
Put the kettle on, then pour yourself a cup of tea in your favourite mug, cut a slice of cake, pick up a favourite book and .. relax!
Staying on the subject of food - I had my first box from www.graze.com this morning. Alas my box took an extra day to arrive - stupid Royal Mail - but I was thrilled with it! I had The Super Berry Detox, Jaffa Cake, Great Fire Dragon and Cherry Tomato, basil and puglian pesto focaccia. It arrived in a really compact box with a personalised cute info booklet showing all the nutritional values - including carbs :-) I really really loved it. You can try a box for free by visiting the site and quoting X4DPYBJ3 which will also give you 50% off box 2. :-) They even include a napkin - and everything is recyclable. Give it a try!
I know Nigella! She's on the Fox Life Channel through Cable TV here in Guatemala! I love how she loves to cook...makes me want to learn. ha! Also a good show: Jamie Oliver. He is a lot of fun to watch. He has even made a couple vegetarian dishes!
ReplyDeletehave a lovely day!!
Oh this looks good!! I just love Nigella! Her Christmas special a couple of years ago runs through my mind so often...that must mean something pretty great!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this treat!
Ann
I love Nigella *and* Jamie too girls :). And I love the aroma of food in the house. Will get back to cooking and baking specialities like that in my next life (in Europe?) I guess. The cake sounds very yum though. As do the goodies from Graze! Enjoy :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like my kind of cake - very tasty and easy to make. Just bung all the ingredients together and put in a food processor. Even I should be able to do that. Might try it one day.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting cake(never heard of boiling citrus fruits before this), but with the orange-y flavor and the almonds added, it sounds delicious! I have a recipe set aside, that calls for blood oranges to make a curd spread in between layers of a yogurt, ground almond layer cake that I am thinking of trying. I love any cake made with lemon and/or orange cream and almonds, too.
ReplyDeleteAnd, what a wonderful thing to get in the mail--"nibbles"! :-)
Ooohhh..just noticed the box of Murchies tea in your photo.
ReplyDelete